21, Jul 2023
Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Felines and Safe Blossoms

It is important to know that plants and flowers are toxic to cats and dogs. This list may vary for dogs, cats, horses and other pets. As an owner of concerned pets, you want to make sure that your environment has plants and flowers that are safe for cats and dogs.

Dogs are less likely to be virused by ornamental plants than cats, in part because cats consume a wider range of plants than dogs. Azaleas can be the ornamental plant responsible for the deadliest ailments in dogs, while lilies, especially Easter lilies, can be the cause of most cat passed away or major illnesses. These are some of the results of a major review of plants toxic to animals conducted by Burroughs and Tearle in North America in 2001.

Some plants and flowers ”no-no” can cause anything from mild abdominal pain to complete respiratory failure or even passed away. Signs of plant virusing may include lethargy, drooling, bleeding gums, get-down, vomiting, uncontrolled urination or thirst, dehydration and seizures.

For those with a penchant for favorite gardens, as well as a dowry on our adorable “fur babies” with plants and flowers for pets, we can relate to how much both are appreciated. Our four-legged family members are an important part of our lives, and their curiosity, especially when they are young, is legendary. Some pets will chew or eat anything, including plants and flowers. We want them to enjoy the yard and garden as much as we do, but it’s important to make sure they’re safe while doing it!

Please keep in mind that this list is not complete, that the effects may vary somewhat depending on the weight and breed of the animal, and that ingesting “safe” plants or flowers may cause some stomach problems. We have focused on dogs and cats, as these are our most common pets, and for more information or to get information about other animals, you’d better consult your veterinarian or a reputable online animal care resource.

Toxic plants for dogs and cats

According to the Ontario SPCA, here are the most common harmful plants. If your garden contains these varieties and your pet spends time unattended there, you may want to consider transferring or removing these options, or monitoring your furry friends when they are nearby.

However, almost all of them are very toxic to cats. “Getting pollen on the tongue and licking the skin, swallowing only 2-3 petals or drinking water from a pot can also cause serious problems for a cat. Some varieties, such as lily of the valley, are extremely harmful or even deadly to many animals (including humans! so be careful where they are planted or delivered.”


Azalea and rhododendron

Azaleas, also called pink rose or rhododendron, are common plants in the outdoor landscape. Despite their beauty, they can be toxic when eaten by dogs, cats, rabbits, reptiles, pigs, horses and goats (to name just a few!). The toxic component of azaleas is called Grayanotoxane. This toxin affects the body’s sodium channels, which then affect the muscle tissue of the heart and skeletal muscles.

All parts of the plant are harmful, and even small volumes can cause the development of clinical symptoms. Your pet only needs to swallow 0.2% of its body weight to get sick. This means that a 30-pound dog needs to eat 0.5 to 1 ounce of the plant to get sick.

Attention: If your cat has swallowed this plant, immediately stop using it as a toilet tray. Chamomile This plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems. If your cat swallows it, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Be careful when giving the cat water with the tea you use for tea leaves to avoid vomiting. Be careful if you use this tea for any reason.

They can also lead to get-down in cats. If you have a tree that is toxic to your cat, you will need to consult with a local forester to remove it. Queen Anne’s Lace (Achillea millefolium) This plant can cause joint pain, liver inflammation and breathing problems. In severe matters, this plant can cause blindness and even passed away.


The ASPCA warns that primrose is harmful to cats, horses and dogs. In cats, this usually causes mild to moderate gastrointestinal disorders. The exact peril ingredient of the plant is not-known.


Chemical compounds in plants can be toxic to cats.The main problems associated with geraniums are dry mouth and vomiting. Some cats even develop osteomyelitis in the mouth. Symptoms of the ailment include pain and swelling in the mouth. It is important that geraniums stay away from cats. Geranium should not be used in indoor plants or plants where there is a risk of inhaling toxins or shrinking.


Although people eat bulbs of real lilies, cats are easily virused by plants. Only two leaves or part of a flower resulted in passed away. Toxicity is usually attributed to a water-soluble toxin that causes kidney failure. Symptoms include salivation, vomiting, anorexia, and get-down. The toxin acts quickly, and treatment should be carried out quickly. It is recommended that lilies and Easter cats are not kept indoors together. (ABA source)

Happy Bamboo

Happy bamboo is toxic to cats and dogs and can cause weakness, vomiting or other abdominal problems. However, lucky bamboo is generally considered non-toxic to humans.


These plants are toxic to cats when eaten. Some of their symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and even seizures. It is not recommended that your cat eat the berries of this plant, as they can cause dehydration, salivation and paralysis.

If your cat consumes this plant, various symptoms appear, including vomiting, lethargy and kidney failure. Popcorn plants The seeds of this plant are very toxic to cats. There are symptoms such as difficulty breathing and cramps if your cat eats them. It can be fatal if swallowed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *